I can't believe it is the end of another year! I know it is cliche but time really does fly by. This coming spring it will be 6 years since I started my dance business. When I reflect on all of my experiences over the years with fellow dancers and students, workshops and performances, I am in awe.
2015 was another incredibly full year, both in dance and in life. Outside of dance I finished my masters degree and have begun work on my PhD. Within the dance world so many incredible people have helped make this year amazing. Here is a look back at some of my favorite memories from 2015!
Teaching and Student Achievements
* Taught classes on Skirt Dance, Veil, Classical Egyptian, Solo and Small Group Composition, Exploration of Bellydance Styles, and more
* Avienn and Aralia have officially started the mentoring process to become professional dancers, they now join with Melissa and Lisa Wall in a new mentoring program that will begin in 2016 (they also made a beautiful website!)
* Coached Carolyn and Kia on their first solo pieces
* Taught at the Shimmyathon for the third year in a row!
* Coached Maddi on bellydance and veil dance after she was awarded a scholarship from her college to do an intensive study- she then presented her first solo piece in August!
* Contributed to Julie Eason's Belly Dance Practice Prompts book
* Hosted 4th annual Dancing into the Light student showcase (more pictures here)
* Performed at a variety of wonderful private events for a wide range of audiences
* Did an awesome Vashti Banquet performance as a duet with singer Felicia Sloin
* Performed at the Raq On community day to the music of the Mosaic Ensemble
* Performed at Amity Alize's 30th birthday party to the beautiful music of the Fred Elias Ensemble
* Performed in Rosa Noreen's Zaman Classical Egyptian showcase to the music of Okbari Middle Eastern Ensemble
* Continued as a core performer at Goddess Lounge, and performed in Cultural Chaos with the other core dancers
* Danced at some super fun Halloween shows
* Headlined at Cairo Cabaret, performed at other local venues including Marco Polo, Goddess Lounge, Athenian Corner
* Attended Art of the Belly and took classes with Victoria Teel, Aziza, and Lotus Niraja on Body Percussion, core isolations, layering, and more
* Attended Shimmyathon and took classes with Jeni, Amity Alize, and Aslahan
* Cross trained in east coast swing
* Attended Southern Vermont Dance Festival and took classes on Broadway Jazz, Jazz styles of the 50's and 60's, Sevillanas, Turkish, and Aerial Fabric
* Hosted Mahin for sold out workshops here in Northampton and took classes with her on Khaleegi, Shaabi, anatomy, Classical Egyptian, and more
* Studyed with Shadia, Shifah, Nadira, and Irina Akulenko on flamenco fusion, improvisation, routine structure, debke, Arabic sharqi, and more
* Took a private lesson with Ansuya
* Took a doumbek workshop with Raquy Danziger
* Had a super fun photoshoot with Felicia and RT2 Photography, and met Maia Kennedy Photography along the way
* Co-hosted a Hafla for Humanity, which raised $1,634.50 to contribute to the International Rescue Committee's Syrian Relief Fund
* Attended the Arabic Music Retreat, Laayali concerts, and other fun live music events
* Hosted the fifth annual Secret Habibi bellydance gift exchange
* Emceed the Crescent Dancer's 40th Anniversary show with Avienn
* Was featured on Nadira Jamal's Belly Dance Geek Clubhouse to talk about mentoring for dancers
* Grew my costume collection ;)
I already have some exciting things planned for 2016! I will be hosting some of my favorite New England dancers for workshops in Northampton, starting an official mentoring program for my students who have transitioned to or are transitioning to the professional realm, working on some amazing collaborations with my dance partners Felicia and Kenna, and so much more! I can't wait to dance with you all in 2016!
Here are my top 4 favorite performance videos from this year!
My adventures in dance, music, costume design...