Thank you to all of my students, teachers, fellow dancers, bandmates, and performance clients who made 2013 so great! Special thanks to my dance partners Felicia and Kenna, student show co-host Chaya, and all of my fabulous students for always being inspirational and supportive. Here are some highlights from the past year:
* Taught some incredible students on a wide range of topics including Dance Composition for Bellydancers, Layering Techniques, Skirt Fusion, Prepare to Meet Your Dum, Songs Every Bellydancer Should know, Folk and Social Dances, Improvisation with Veils and more!
* Taught at Amity Alize's Raq On Shimmyathon in NH
* Coached Laura and Emily's first duet- they were fabulous and have since done many other great duets!
* Cheered as Melissa, Christina, Jessica, Faith, Lisa, and Victoria grew as soloists
* Taught a workshop as the featured guest at the Wedding Collaborative's Hot Inn Here event
* Taught at several wonderful bachelorette parties
* Taught at Shalimar's Souk in CT
* Took workshops and private lessons from Artemis Mourat, Rosa Noreen, Aslahan, Irina Akulenko, Tamalyn Dalal, Ankara Rose, and Amity Alize on a range of topics from Turkish Romani to waltz fan veil and Celtic fusion
* Attended the Southern Vermont Dance Festival where I tried Chinese Fan Dance, Waltz, Bollywood, Tango, Swing, and Flamenco
* Did private lessons with Shifah on Turkish spoons, and Kenna on sword dance
* Danced for a variety of private events including weddings, Vashti banquets, birthday parties, haflas, and other parties
* Collaborated with my Manavi bandmates, wonderful dance partners Felicia Malachite and Kenna, the Crescent Dancers, Jericha, Christina, and the Sisters of the Moon dance troupe on a variety of performances
* Co-hosted two fantastic student showcases with my partner in crime Chaya Leia
* Started dancing with Kenna at her super fun Vaudeville themed Goddess Lounge show
* Did a guest appearance with the Crescent Dancers at my mentor Shifah's birthday celebration show
* Headlined at the Marco Polo and the Cairo Cabaret showcases
* Did fun photoshoots with Huong Phan and Keith Harmon Snow
* Hosted the third annual student secret habibi gift exchange
* Received my first two pieces of fan art!
* Attended live performances by fabulous musicians including Charbel Rouhana, the Shaheen brothers, the Dunya Ensemble, and more
* Had a new promotional video made by Hummingbird Videography
* Was invited to be on the Board of Advisors for Jericha Senyak's Museum of Joy
* My dance partner, Felicia, and student show partner, Chaya, each gave birth to their first child!
..and Ahead to 2014
I'm looking forward to another year working with my favorite dancers and musicians, teaching my fantastic students, and performing at beautiful celebrations!
My adventures in dance, music, costume design...